On Nigeria’s ‘end of the end of history’.
Sa’eed Husaini from The Nigerian Scam podcast joins us to reflect on all things Nigeria: oil, debt, corruption and February’s election. What was all that hype about the ‘outsider’ who wasn’t much of an outsider? Has the country’s populist moment passed?
More Nigerians are falling into poverty due to low economic growth, while the state is due to spend 96% of its income on debt service. How is this sustainable?
We also talk about oil and corruption: the ‘resource curse’ and the ‘survival of the fattest’. And conclude on China’s role in the country and Nigeria as a cultural powerhouse.
Links & Readings:
- Buharism is dead, long live Buharism, Sa’eed Husaini, Africa is a Country
- /61/ Making Plans for Naija ft. Sa’eed Husaini
- The Nigerian Scam podcast
- The Oil Thieves of Nigeria, James Barnett, New Lines
- Survival of the Fattest, Paulo Collier, The American Interest