On the Brothers of Italy.
We talk to Mattia Salvia, former Rolling Stone Italia politics editor and author of Interregno, about Italy’s election last weekend in the context of a Europe in crisis. The big question to start: is Meloni a fascist – and will her government be fascist?
With very low turnout, it seems like the working class has deserted politics, with 5 Star being the last gasp of proletarian participation. Does Meloni try to appeal to this constituency at all? Her low-tax anti-welfare policies don’t seem like it.
And what of Meloni’s pro-NATO politics? And what does this mean for the EU – will a FdI-ruled Italy weaken the union, or strengthen it?
- Meet the New Wolf, Giorgia Meloni, Mattia Salvia, Popula
- In Italy’s Deserted Democracy, Far-Right Giorgia Meloni Has Emerged Victorious, David Broder, Jacobin
- Meloni’s victory only strengthens the EU, Philip Cunliffe, Unherd
- What an Italy led by the far-right might mean for Europe, FT
- Coatta Antica, Mattia Salvia, Not Nero