On Saudi religious proselytism.
Saudi Arabia has actively sought to export Salafism. How has it done this – and what have been its effects, in countries like Indonesia, Nigeria and Kosovo? Why was fighting against the Soviets in Afghanistan in the 1980s such a formative experience for jihadists? And why has appeal of secularism faded?
- The Call: Inside the Global Saudi Religious Project, Krithika Varagur
- How Saudi Arabia’s religious project transformed Indonesia (Long excerpt from the book)
- The Coronavirus Threatens Saudi Arabia’s Global Ambitions, Krithika Varagur, Foreign Affairs
- Saudis and Extremism: ‘Both the Arsonists and the Firefighters’, Scott Shane, NYT
- China as the New Frontier for Islamic Daʿwah, Mohammed Turki al-Sudairi, Journal of Arabian Studies